Position available: Tenor & Bass section leader/Assistant to the Artistic Director
The SF Bach Choir seeks an experienced, trained Tenor or Bass singer to assist the Artistic Director in sectional rehearsals, logistics and rehearsal organization.
- Significant choral experience (preferably some experience with large choirs)
- Significant vocal training and the ability to demonstrate healthy, free singing, and to improve the vocal, musical, and technical ability of amateur adult singers (especially Tenors and Basses.)
- Experience with and facility in running fast-paced, effective, and positive sectional rehearsals.
- Experience with, and ability to work constructively and effectively with, amateur adult singers
- Ability to assist in teaching the pronunciation of foreign languages (IPA and other materials will be made available)
- A sense of humor and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Be fully familiar with all details of the Tenor and Bass parts. Lead sectionals during rehearsals, as required, and be available to help run occasional “off-site” sectionals if needed. (An accompanist will be available, in most cases.)
- Attend and sing well (as a role model, in all aspects) in all choir rehearsals and performances. (If conflicts with other professional obligations arise, they must be resolved immediately with the AD.)
- Be vigilant in listening for and noting vocal, musical or personnel issues particularly in the Tenor and Bass sections and in the other parts if possible.
- Be able to make corrections in a way that is both effective and professional.
- Maintain, at all times, a score fully marked with all details of interpretation (dynamics, articulation, color, mood, cut-offs, divisi, pronunciation, etc.) and be availble for answering questions on those details
- Be available to answer questions pertaining to details of interpretation.
- Be sufficiently familiar with all voice parts of repertoire under rehearsal to offer specific corrections
- Plan, communicate, and oversee choir logistics pertaining to concerts
- Work with the Artistic Director to develop and improve the technical and musical capacities of the choir as a whole and the Tenor and Bass sections in particular
- Be available to proof-read translations, programs, instrumental or choral scores, etc
- Coordinate with the text and translation or program editor to distribute all texts and translations the choir in a timely manner
- Work with AD to finalize/record standing arrangements for concerts
- Be responsible for working out logistical details (on/off stage, lining up, etc) and communicating them to the choir
- Assist AD in planning logistics for candlelight Christmas program and assisting with “props”
- Assist in orchestral setups and part distribution and collection
- Assist in the preparation of instrumental parts and choral scores (occasional)
- Assist in locating works (occasional)
- In an emergency, be able to rehearse the entire ensemble
- Desired, but not required: facility with music editing programs
- Position title: Assistant to the Artistic Director
- Time commitment: weekly Tues. 7-10pm, some Saturday rehearsals; dress rehearsals and concerts. Season runs late August – early May
- Some minor conducting opportunities may be offered to the candidate with requisite skills.
- Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience ($1,500-$3,000/season)
- Start date: mid-late August, 2019
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Deadline: Open until filled
San Francisco Bach Choir, a 501(c) 3 California corporation, does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, physical appearance, language, or educational background in any of its activities or operations, including those related to hiring/employment practices, provision of services, selection and engagement of contractors, musicians, and volunteers, and all other business of the organization. The chorus is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of its staff, volunteers, contractors, subcontractors, vendors, audience members, and singers.
San Francisco Bach Choir is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran or military status.