Bach and Brew:
A Musical Sing-In
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
6:30 – 9:00 pm
1160 Sixth Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
“Bach and Brew” returns on May 21st!
Explore choral music gems as well as songs and rounds that are, um… appropriate to the occasion at this informal singing workshop led by SF Bach Choir Artistic Director Magen Solomon and BCCO Artistic Director Ming Luke.
- Open to singers (or would-be singers) of all levels.
- Music will be provided.
- Beer and bar food will be available for purchase, or bring in your own food.
- 6:15ish – 7:00 pm – Registration/Food & drink
- 7:00 – 8:00 pm – Group sing
- 8:00 – More food, drink and social time
This is a FREE event!
We have already exceeded capacity for this event, but we’re still taking registrations for a waiting list, in case there are cancellations. Click below to sign up.
Why Bach and Beer?
- Bach was often paid in beer. According to Christoph Wolff’s biography Johann Sebastian Bach: The Learned Musician, when Bach took a job in Weimar in 1708 his salary included “30 pails of tax-free beer.”
- The connection between Bach and Bock goes beyond the alliteration. Bock is a German beer that originated in northern Germany and would have been a popular brew during Bach’s lifetime.