Join us for an exciting season of inspired and dedicated singing!
SFBC performs with professional instrumentalists and soloists, and we warmly invite new singers to audition for one of the oldest continually performing choral organizations west of the Rockies. (Tenors and basses especially welcome.)
Set up your audition
- Fill out the audition inquiry form
- Sign up for an audition time (new member auditions will take place in August, please complete the audition inquiry form now and we will contact you when the auditions schedule is confirmed)
- Print and complete the two forms below, and bring them with you to your audition
Try us out
Before you audition, you are invited to sing with us to see if the choir is the right fit for you.
Bach and Brew: a Berkeley Festival Sing-in
Thursday, June 7, 5:15 pm
Fieldwork Brewing, Berkeley
View full event details
What to expect at your audition
1. Vocalizing: using mostly familiar exercises, to discover: What is your comfortable and usable range? What voice part should you sing? What are your best vowels and what strategy can we use to improve the less-good ones? Is your breath working for you? Are there other adjustments we can make to increase the ease and health of your singing, and the flexibility and beauty of your tone?
2. Sight-reading: Recognizing that there is a wide range of reading ability there will be three, graduated sight-reading exercises and, for those who learn more by rote, an opportunity to demonstrate that skill.
3. Prepared music: New singers, please bring two copies of a prepared song or choral work. Simple is fine! A hymn, folk song, carol beautifully sung is preferable to something difficult which is not completely mastered.