Audition for SFBC!
We are looking for experienced choral singers – especially tenors and basses – with good musical skills and an enthusiasm for participating in an active and dynamic musical organization. More about us.
- Rehearsals Tuesday evenings from 7-10pm
- + Saturdays 9/10, 10/1, 11/5, 11/12 10am – 3pm
- Location: Calvary Presbyterian Church, Fillmore/Jackson SF
Our 2022-23 Season
- October 16, 2022
Tesoros Dorados: Musical Treasures of South & Central America
- December 3 & 4, 2022
Songs of Spirit and Joy
- May 20 & 21, 2023
J.S. Bach: Mass in B-minor
This season registration fees are as follows:
- October concert: $125
- December concert: $125
- May concert: $250
There is also a music fee that varies from concert to concert, usually ranging from $15-30.
(Financial assistance is available.)
- All singers must be fully vaccinated (including up-to-date boosters) in order to audition and participate in in-person rehearsals and concerts.
- Singers will be masked for all rehearsals and performances and social distancing guidelines will be followed.
- Singers will be required to test themselves every Tuesday before coming to rehearsal.
- Audiences will be required to be vaccinated and masked.
Summer 2022 Auditions
Summer auditions are closed. To be on the mailing list for notification when we are holding auditions again, please fill out the form below ↓ Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
What to Expect at Your Audition
- Vocalizing: using mostly familiar exercises, to discover: What is your comfortable and usable range? What voice part should you sing? What are your best vowels and what strategy can we use to improve the less-good ones? Is your breath working for you? Are there other adjustments we can make to increase the ease and health of your singing, and the flexibility and beauty of your tone?
- Sight-reading: Recognizing that there can be a wide range of sight-reading ability there will be three, graduated sight-reading exercises. All auditionees will be expected to be able to sight-read the first and part of the second exercise (given a starting note) without accompaniment.
- Prepared music: When audition times are announced, you will be provided with a short (7 bars) melody to prepare in advance of your audition. (view treble clef version | view bass clef version)
Please fill out the inquiry form below and we’ll be in touch about the next steps. (Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination will be required in order to audition and participate.)
Audition Inquiry Form
If you would like to set up an audition or be notified about plans for our next round of auditions, please complete the inquiry form below.